Running a small business is no easy task, fortunately there are myriad sources of information to help you along the way. The following links should provide you with a better sense of resources available to help you.
When you're ready to discuss your options in-person, contact your local SBDCto schedule a one-on-one consulting session with an SBDC consultant.
Business Assistance Programs
General Statistics and Demographic Sites
Pennsylvania Business Statistics
- Penn State Data Center (http://pasdc.hbg.psu.edu) – Pennsylvania's official data source.
- SBA Small Business Profiles: PA (www.sba.gov/advo/research/profiles) – brief overview of the number and type of small businesses in PA. Previous years are available to gauge growth.
- Census Bureau Economic Pages (www.census.gov/econ/www/index.html) – links to the most current available reports on number of businesses, non-employer statistics, the Economic Census, minority and women-owned businesses, manufacturers, and building permits in PA and its counties.
- County Business Patterns (www.census.gov/epcd/cbp/view/cbpview.html) – detailed statistics on business activity on the county and zip code level.
- Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry (www.dli.state.pa.us) – has a number of publications with workforce statistics including Long-Term Industry Employment Projections, Civilian Labor Force Data, Unemployment Rates by County, Employment by Industry and their monthly publication Pennsylvania Labor Force.
- State Export Data (www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/state/index.html)
- Small Business Economic Indicators (www.sba.gov/advo/research/sbei.html) – discusses small business activity nationally with state rankings.
- Development Report Card for the States (www.cfed.org) – looks at development measures including entrepreneurship by state.
- Statistics About Business Size (www.census.gov/epcd/www/smallbus.html) – gives national level data on firms by size and receipts.
- Minority & Woman-Owned Businesses (www.census.gov/econ/www/index.htm) – gives national and state level data on these businesses.
- Pennsylvania QuickFacts (quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/42000.html) – gives brief population, demographics, housing and income data.